Saturday, August 23, 2014

It's Not a Box

It's Scott from Brick by Brick. I love to repurpose materials—use materials in ways different from their intended purpose.

I love to repurpose. Sometimes I think it's a sickness. In fact, the other day we went to Sam's and ended up with this at my house.


I debated and debated about putting it in the trash. It's still sitting beside the trash can (but not tossed out just yet). I keep thinking about things we could do with it.

We could paint with marbles or golf balls. It's a great size for paper to fit in and the sides are tall enough to make sure the marbles or balls stay inside.


We could build inside it. My kids enjoyed building in the blocks bin a while back. I think with some smaller blocks and this box, we could have a great time creating.


We could use it for sand. We used trays once to have more individual experiences with sand. But this box has taller sides. I think it would be great for exploring sand (or barley or other sensory materials).


We could fill it with shredded paper and hide names or words or letters for kids to find.


We could use it for a portable writing center or art station. Put a few pieces of paper and markers or other art materials in it. Place the box in any area of the room so materials are ready for use at a moment's notice.


We could use it for a doll bed. Can't have too many places for our dolls to sleep.


We could play games in it (especially ones that toss dice) or work a puzzle in it.


We can use it to contain counters or letter tiles....


Hmm. Guess I need to retrieve that box and put it in a safe place!

What ideas do you have for my great box?


P.S. One of my favorite books is Not a Box by Antoinette Portis. Read it with your kids and then let them decide what that box really is.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has an impulsive need to save all boxes! lol! There are just so many potential opportunities for them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all these ideas, Scott! And "Not A Box" is one of my FAVORITE books!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this is definitely interesting! I agree it is not just a box because it can be reused in many ways. You are so creative for thinking that way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...