Monday, April 29, 2013

Science for Kids: Honey bees, Flowers & Freebies!


Hi everyone! This is Sue Cahalane from Science for Kids Blog, I'm so excited to be here on the 29th of every month & I'm happy that spring has sprung! I just completed a flower & honey bee activity with my PreK students. Their little hands made the cutest flowers:




 We learned all about honey bees and their amazing eyes. Many of my students think honey bees see hundreds of the same image.  This is a misconception! Throw away those insect eye viewers!

(That comic above is entitled "The last thing a fly ever sees"! Pretty funny but it is bad science!) Bees see one image only: 


My kids are fascinated by the fact that bees actually have 5 eyes!



This is the worksheet I use:

Here are the patterns I use to create a little bee:

We planted Morning Glory seeds - they are fast growers! My kids say they look like little green dragonflies & I have to say I agree! Here they are in our greenhouse after just one week: 


For other science activities, please check out my Teachers Pay Teachers store, Facebook page, Pinterest page & my Science for Kids Blog!

Happy Spring!









5 comments:

  1. Your printables are super cute! I especially love the "How a Bee Sees" page. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! And just in time as I start my unit on Plants! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helpful Site…
    Thank you so much for providing individuals with a very terrific possibility to read from this Web site
    Best Montessori Frisco

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...