Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Let's Contain It

It's Scott from Brick by Brick. I love to repurpose materials—use materials in ways different from their intended purpose.

This week I was working in a kindergarten classroom. We were using different colored shapes to make a collage. When I arrived, I discovered that I had not brought anything to hold all the different colors of paper - and I wanted to keep the colors separated so kids could find just what they wanted. What could I do?

I went to the supply room just to see what was there. The supply room has lots of stuff, but usually not what I need just when I need it. But I thought I would check it out. I found a stack of small plastic flowerpots. Hmm. These proved to be just perfect to hold all the different colors of paper shapes.

As I thought about it, I have repurposed containers for all kinds of things. Here are just a few things we've done.

I usually use a muffin pan to hold lots of different colored paper. You can also use them to sort items (like beans). And, of course, you can use them to pretend to cook.



Many of my friends know that I like to reuse and repurpose things. I received a stack of small pet food containers from someone. We've used them to hold glue (for brushing on) and small amounts of paint. They have held beads or other small items. We have scooped with them. And, you can paint circles with them, too.



These coffee containers make great vases or game containers. I love these, with and without their lids. And you can store stuff in them, too.




I found these containers on sale at a craft store. I don't know what the "original" purpose is. But we use them for mini trash cans. Whenever we have stickers or other activity that creates trash, I put these on the table so kids can drop them in. It makes clean-up so much easier.


These drawer organizers are great to hold markers or art items or just about anything.




Repurpose food containers for imaginative play (grocery store, restaurant, etc.) And you can build with them, too.

How have you repurposed containers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...