Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Introducing Jim Gill to the Collaboration

What a great honor I have today to 'introduce' you to my lightening rod, jump-starter and inspiration. Right this minute it's Debbie Clement speaking, editor-in-chief around here with a huge word of welcome to a very special guest. Seventeen years ago I was the Support Services Coordinator at a private preschool for children with special needs. It was my responsibility to provide staff development opportunities for our brilliant cadre of professionals. It was suggested to me that I inquire if Jim Gill might possibly be available. 

Long story short, Jim came and spent the day with us leading a retreat. We sang. We laughed. We cried. Jim is both brilliant, talented and something of a miracle worker. He wove stories around his original songs and I marveled at his contribution. His smile and banjo LITERALLY ignited my imagination. I ended up resigning from my full time administrative position in less than two months to follow my heart and return to working more directly with children. With barely a dream, a guitar with a repertoire of about five chords and his inspiration -- I began. Jim was ever-so-gracious  in those early days to listen to my questions and offer his insight and encouragement. 


What a thrill it is today to share our 'spotlight' here, with the man who launched my sharing. I give you Jim Gill. 


photo of: Jim Gill Article on Early Childhood Rhymes and Literacy
THE Jim Gill of Chicago, with his ever trusty banjo!


The beginning of the school year is the perfect time to consider the importance of play in the early childhood classroom and the role that we adults have in creating opportunities for children to make profound discoveries through play.

One incident that I remember, from years ago, always makes this clear......and makes me smile.

I was visiting the Whitney Young Early Childhood Center in Fort Wayne, Indiana and had shared, during my concerts there, a song that I created to celebrate the tongue twister "Toy Boat." At each concert, after singing the song, I led the preschoolers and kindergarteners in a follow-up game.  Children could take turns coming forward to say the words "toy boat," in the microphone, three times.  And, of course, they had to say the words fast.  That's what makes a tongue twister challenging and fun.  It's what makes a tongue twister play.

You know the results. 

"Toy boat, toy boit, toy boit!"

And so on.

In between concerts I joined some of the preschoolers out on the playground and overheard a number of them continuing to attempt to complete the challenge.

"Toy boat, toy boat, toy boit." (laughter)

"Toy boit, toy boit, toy boit." (more laughter)

One little boy ran up to me excitedly and said, "Hey Jim Gill!  I've got a new one!"

I wasn't exactly sure of what he was referring to, so I asked him what his "new one" was.

He looked straight at me and proudly said, "Foy foat, foy foat, foy foat."

I smiled a big GENUINE smile.  Then I gave him a playful challenging look. 

"Oh yeah?  Moy moat, moy moat, moy moat!"

He stopped for a moment.  I could see that he was thinking, just by watching his face.

His reply:  "Doy doat, doy doat, doy doat!"

The young child was, of course, making phoneme substitutions.  Substituting letter sounds like this is a very important early literacy skill.  Beginning reader books, like Dr. Seuss' famous "Cat in the Hat," were created to exercise this ability.

And this young boy just discovered it for himself.  He began by playing a tongue twister and, once playing with words and sounds, began to play with different sound (letter) substitutions.

No worksheet was needed.  No computer was needed.  All the child needed was a caring adult to share a silly word game and some play time for him to expand on that game.

What makes this story so memorable to me, years later, is that when this young boy shared his creation, he not only shared his discovery but his excitement about the discovery.

Play is inspiring.  Not only is it inspiring for children to learn and master a new skill, but the discovery process itself is inspiring. 

No one can say the same about worksheets or “screen time.”    

-- Jim 

Click to enlarge
Please visit Jim's website for more information about his work, his newest album, his tour dates and all manner of exciting announcements.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful Jim has joined the blog, thanks to Debbie for knowing him professionally! I am looking forward to the posts and finding out about the music. Great! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...