Friday, May 25, 2012

Adapted Art

I am so excited be a guest blogger today.  My name is Amanda Myers and my regular blog is A Special Kind of Class.  I have truly taught a special kind of class for 20 years.  The 7 children in my class each year have either a physical and/or speech disability.    Many of them do not speak at all and many have little to no fine motor skills. This makes participating in the regular school program challenging.  My job is to figure out the best way for them to participate and learn before sending them back to their home school board.  I thought I would share a little about how I adapted an art project for my students.  Adapting lessons for children with special needs often does not require any special skills, just a willingness to think outside the box.  Oftentimes ordinary items can be used.  Most of the items featured below came from Lakeshore.  They were not specifically designed for children with special needs but are easy to use.  I hope my post inspires you to try something new with your students.












7 comments:

  1. Absolutely AMAZING!! Will start following your blog. I will be referencing your blog on my next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really excited to start following your blog. Can I ask where you got the bottles with the painT brushes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great ideas! The finished masterpieces are beautiful!

    Michelle
    Teach123

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas! (we also have those "flower" paint brushes and we LOVE them! :) thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful, Amanda! I always enjoy reading about ideas for children with special needs. I'm following you at A Special Kind of Class now. I pinned this post to my Special Needs Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/special-needs/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone. The paint brushes came from Lakeshore.

    A Special Kind of Class

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you make the mitts or did you buy them somewhere? What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...