Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Early Childhood Brain Activities to Share

  by Deborah McNelis, M.S.ed Owner, Brain Insights


MAY IS MENTAL HEALTH MONTH
CHILDREN’S MENTAL HEALTH WEEK May 6-12
 
Focus for 2012: 
BRAIN INSIGHTS: REAL Brain Development
with Fun and Loving Activities

The following list of activities are from Brain Insights activity packets. They were carefully chosen and put together as this valuable calendar by Nancy DeWitt, BS, FSP, Preparing Mentor.
 

Nancy is a wonderful woman I met while working with the community of Rhinelander, WI. This community is working together to create awareness and put in place services to support the optimal development of children's brains. I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to contribute to these important efforts. 

I am sharing it here because the calendar is something Nancy is hoping you will share with families in the hopes that parents will use these easy and practical ideas to promote mental health and fun learning for all children.


BRAIN INSIGHTS: REAL BRAIN DEVELOPMENT   
  WITH FUN AND LOVING ACTIVITIES 
from:
                                                                                   
LOVE YOUR BABY:  (May 1-12)

1.  While changing my clothes or diapers, take a minute and warmly and gently rub my back, arms and legs. Let me feel your warmth.                                                                                                     
3.  Notice what I like and respond to me. Try to tune in to the level of activity I seem to need. When I am more active, do a playful activity.  When I seem calm, read a story or sing a lullaby to me.                                           
6.  Make up a song using my name to sing to me while you feed me. 
8.  While you are cooking or doing dishes, let me explore safe items you use.  For example, a rubber spatula, a wooden spoon, a plastic container, measuring spoons, etc

FUN WHILE I’M ONE:  (May 13-15)

13.  While we are interacting throughout the day, give me kisses and loving hugs.
14.  When I am lonely, scared or bored.  I will let you know by crying.  I need you to comfort me.  I don’t know how to handle it on my own.
16. Create a winding down, calming bedtime routine for me.  Things like taking a warm bath, reading a story to me and cuddling with me will help soothe me. 

MORE TO DO WHILE I’M TWO:  (May 17-20)

17.  At a grocery store point to items: or while in a waiting room point to pictures in magazines.  Ask me to name them.
18. While dressing me, ask me what piece of clothing to put on next.  Example, “Should I put on your jacket or shoes next?”
19. Turn on the radio, sing a song or play a CD.  Have me move to the music until it stops.  I will stop until the music starts again. 

PLAY WITH ME WHILE I’M THREE:   (May 21-24)

21. Starting with breakfast every day, develop daily routines for meals, naps, bath and bedtime.  It is very important to have order in my life.  I learn what to expect through a regular pattern which helps make me calmer
22. While grocery shopping, have me help you find the items you need.  Example:  Ask me to pick out the biggest or smallest item on the shelf.

LETS LEARN MORE WHILE I’M FOUR:  (May 25-28)

23.  Find or save things for me to pretend with.  Save food containers to play grocery store; line up chairs for a train or bus; set up combs or brushes, etc for a barber or beauty shop;, books and index cards to play library etc. 
25.  Take me on a “listening walk”.  While we are out walking have me listen and talk about all the sounds I hear.  Ask, “Do you hear a bird, the wind, a car horn…..?  

HELP ME THRIVE WHEN I’M FIVE:  (May 29-31)

 26.  While folding the laundry tell me to try not to laugh as you do silly things.  See if you can get me to laugh.  Just start laughing.  See how long it takes me to join in.  It is contagious. 
27.  While playing catch with me outdoors, change the way we pass the ball.  Count to 10 while we pass it.  Now have me think of a new way to pass it 10 times.  Take turns thinking of new ways to pass the ball. 

 NATURALLY DEVELOPING YOUNG BRAINS


29.  While outdoors, encourage me to do variety of activities to use my finger and thumb together.  Have me pick petals or seeds off of flowers, pick up and throw small rocks into water, search for tiny shells in sand, or write with chalk on a sidewalk or driveway.  Use tweezers to pull seeds out of a sunflower head or use our thumbs to shell corn. 
30. Come outside with me on a day with big fluffy clouds in the sky.  Lie down next to me and watch the clouds.  Talk with me about all the different shapes we see.  Let’s each choose a cloud to watch and see if one moves faster than the other.                         
31.  Have me play in mud sometimes.  Let me experience how good it feels to squish it between my fingers or toes.  I can even point with mud on paper or on the sidewalk. 

Enjoy a Beautiful and Healthy Month!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Michelle! I am glad you find them beneficial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the suggestions ... so simple to do yet so helpful for a child's happiness and development. I pinned your post to the collaborative All Things Parenting Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/hollyhomer/all-things-parenting/ Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...