Sunday, January 29, 2012

A "Lovely" Bookmaking Project

Ooh, it’s almost February and I’m making some heart-filled plans. I love Valentine’s Day!  Maybe because my husband brings me Chocolate Cheesecake every year, or maybe because it’s the only time I get to fill my house with pink, or get my kids to use the pink crayon for craft projects. (I’m the lone princess in a house full of blue-loving boys.) Anyway, in honor of the lovely upcoming holiday, I bring you a sweet and simple valentine literacy craft...



The "I Love" Book


  
Materials:
  • Cardstock or heavy paper
  • Stamp ink for heart making. (I recommend a pale color since you’re going to write on top of it. The red I used here is just a little too dark. Pink would be perfect.)
  • A fine tip Sharpie marker
  • Something to bind paper together to make a book. I just used a binder ring, but you could attach pages to a construction paper booklet, or use a blank book like these.
This is a flexible activity that works for many age groups and developmental levels.

Here’s the plan:
  1. For each blank page, have the child name something he or she loves. Single words work best. (Mom, Dad, Lego…) Using two fingerprints, stamp a heart for each letter in the word.
  2. Write the letters of the word on top of the heart using Sharpie. For my three year old, I asked what he loves and helped him stamp the correct number of hearts, then I wrote the letters for him. After I wrote a few, he was ready to make lots of his own pages, complete with his own “letters” written in each heart. Older preschoolers and kindergartners might need a little help figuring out how many hearts they need, but could handle the stamping and writing on their own. For those kids, I recommend brainstorming together and writing the words on a piece of scrap paper first, so they can count the number of hearts needed before stamping.
  3. Make a cover using the same technique. We chose “Jack Loves” as our straightforward, (yet slightly unoriginal) title.
  4. Bind it, and you’re done!
  5. Read your book lots of times in February, and then save it forever as an adorable keepsake.
.     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .     .

Want more ideas to gear up for February 14? Today on Small Types you’ll find links to more Valentine’s Day project ideas, books and printable valentines. Or visit my Valentine’s Day board over on Pinterest

We'd love to hear from you! What's your favorite Valentine's Day project?

Erin Wing writes about creating a print-rich home at www.smalltypes.com.

4 comments:

  1. That's such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing.

    I "tagged" you today, come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute cute cute!!!! I am SO excited to have found your site. I had to share it with friends and I tagged you in a post! Come check it out! http://misskristinaskindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I could easily adapt this for my 4th graders.

    Thanks for your advice on my blog. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE fingerprint art, and that's an awesome idea for a keepsake, Erin! I pinned your post to my Kids' Valentine's Day Activities Pinterest board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/kids-valentine-s-day-activities/

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...