Monday, February 23, 2015

Seeing Possibilities

Hi! It's Scott from Brick by Brick. I love to repurpose materials—use materials in ways different from their intended use.

Recently we had fun using cups and pet food containers for art. We used them for stamping.


Press a cup into the ink and stamp circles. We were thinking and talking about families, so I encouraged kids to use the circles as faces. 

Some did. Some didn't. 

But exploring and using the cups and small bowls with the ink pads was a fun and creative experience.


So often we get locked into ways to use things. I do this even with my repurposed materials. We use things this way.

But letting a little creativity and a little "out of the box" thinking can encourage lots of new possibilities.


I hope as you work with preschoolers, kindergartners, or any young children, you open up to possibilities. Place a few items on a table and encourage the kids to think of what to do with them. Place a few unusual items in the block center. Paint with something other than a brush.

We are living in a quickly changing world. Thinking in new and different ways is (and will be) a valuable skill. 

Encourage new and different thinking. Even if that's just putting paper cups and ink pads on a table and seeing what happens.

(My favorite ink pads - ones that will totally wash off hands, arms, etc. with soap - are from Discount School Supply. I get nothing from that company. Just wanted you to know about these great ink pads.)

3 comments:

  1. Love this, Scott. This is the kind of activity my mom would set out for me growing up - she'd just put the supplies on the table and let me go at it. Ink pads were very dear - but one of my favorites! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Scott. This is the kind of activity my mom would set out for me growing up - she'd just put the supplies on the table and let me go at it. Ink pads were very dear - but one of my favorites! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lesson that I've been planning that this compliments perfectly! We are working on math journals and I can't wait to try this and record in the journals what the children are thinking while creating with the shape outlines. You are inspirational, as ever-- awesome post, Scott!!!

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...